Friday 24 August 2012

Mission: Purge. The Begining

I have too much stuff.

I know I'm not alone when I think that, but I hate admitting it. I am really bad at remembering where I put stuff. Until very recently, I just put everything in a box or closet and called it done. Now, my closets are overflowing and I have simply run out of physical space to put another object.

My goal is to get rid of 1/3 of the contents of our home by the time we are ready to put the house up for sale. So far, I have cleared out a lot of stuff! If we (all family members) don't use it or love it - it's gone!

This is a basic idea of how I purge...

First, I loosely sort everything. I put everything that needs to go to another room in one pile, and everything else in another pile (sometimes I use empty baskets/boxes). I have a garbage can in everyone room of the house (except the living room, close to small hands) and I throw out anything that is either garbage, or over loved.

Next, I get rid of the pile that doesn't belong in that area (I usually focus on one room or closet at a time, based on necessity/time). I then sort everything that belongs into little piles in front of me. Once I am able to tell what size bins I need, I grab empty storage bins and fill them. I try to put labels on the containers if they are not clear, but I don't always. For Abby - it's a must.

Lastly, "I - wait! I can't believe I almost gave you the secret ingredient!" -Monica

You'll have to stay tuned to see how I finish dealing with the the stuff!

I will leave you with one of my favourite blogs to draw inspiration from... Happy purging!

{Daily Odd Compliment: You're like a baby's first steps. Exciting, cute, and kind of awkward}

No comments:

Post a Comment